Coconut oil, I’m absolutely in love with this stuff. Not only is it healthy, it’s a kick-ass natural beauty product.
While there’s been some myth about coconut oil being bad because of it’s high saturated fat content, the fact is about 50% of the saturated fat is made up of lauric acid.
Lauric acid converts to monolaurin in your body which help fights viruses and bacteria causing diseases like herpes, HIV, influenza, and cytomegalovirus.
Vitamin E and K and minerals such as iron occur naturally in coconut oil.
- Heart Disease: The lauric acid helps in preventing various heart problems (like high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure). The saturated fats in coconut oil aren’t harmful, don’t lead to an increase in LDL levels, and also reduces the incidence of injury in the arteries and can help preventing atherosclerosis.
- Weight Loss: Coconut oil is easy to for the system to digest and also helps the thyroid and enzymes systems function healthy. It also aids in increasing the body’s metabolism by removing stress on the pancreases hence burning out more energy and helping with weight loss in overweight/obese people.
- Digestion: Thanks to the saturated fats in coconut oil which have anti microbial properties to help with combating various bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc. that cause indigestion. Coconut oil also helps improve the digestive system and can therefore help prevent stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome. This oil also helps in absorbing other nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Immunity: Coconut oil strengthens the immune system antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Healing: When applied on infections, it forms a chemical layer which protects the infected body part from external dust, air, fungi, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil is most effective on bruises as it speeds up the healing process by repairing damaged tissues.
- Infections: Coconut oil is very effective against a variety of infections due to its antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. According to the Coconut Research Center, coconut oil kills viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis, herpes, SARS, and such. It also kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, etc. Coconut oil is also effective on fungi and yeast that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, diaper rash, etc.
There’s a load of other organs it’s good for too.
As for beauty, it helps protect and repair damaged hair (leave on hair or hair ends for a extend amount of time), help skin dryness (lather it on your skin before bed and fall asleep, it will not stain sheets and you’ll wake up with soft skin), and can even be used as a make-up remover.
It’s also safe for various skin problems (including psoriasis and eczema) and can help prevent wrinkles, the sagging of skin, premature aging, and degenerative diseases due to it’s antioxidant properties.